At this point, everyone knows the health problems associated with smoking. Lung, esophageal, throat, stomach, laryngeal, pancreatic and kidney cancer are all associated with smoking. Heart disease, lung disease, stroke, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and harm to developing fetuses are all good reasons to give up smoking for good. Everyone who smokes knows that they should quit, and everyone who has quit knows how difficult it can be. That’s why many people who wish to stop smoking turn to a well known smoking cessation clinic, like the Patient’s Choice Medical Center in Las Vegas. Here, it’s possible to stop smoking with licensed physicians who offer affordable rates that don’t exclude patients without health insurance.
A great number of people quit cold turkey; they throw the pack of cigarettes away and never come back to it again. It may take several tries, though, and it can be extraordinarily difficult to do, with cravings, weight gain, irritablility, headaches and general misery as the body get through its dependence on nicotine and flushes the toxins out.
Other smokers go for nicotine replacement therapy, in the form of nicotine skin patches, lozenges, gum, sprays or inhalers, although many smokers relapse and start smoking again after nicotine replacement.
Other Strategies Include:
- Antidepressants such as Zyban, Sensoval or Wellbutrin.
- Targeted drugs such as Varencicline or Tabex, which can reduce cravings and alleviate withdrawal symptoms, or can serve as aversion therapy by making smoking itself more psychologically repulsive.
- “Electronic Cigarettes,” which deliver an atomized dose of nicotine along with water vapor, thereby satisfying the smoker’s oral fixation and craving for the nicotine itself.
- Support groups
- Hypnosis, acupuncture or aromatherapy
These all have varying degrees of long-term success in smoking cessation.
Affordable ways to stop smoking:
In Las Vegas, many resources are available for those wanting to quit.
- Las Vegas Smoking cessation programs at Patient’s Choice Medical Center are available for a nominal fee visit (see Services and Fees), with very reasonable rates for follow-up visits. Detailed information for smoking cessation in Las Vegas
- Consultations are conducted by physicians who are experienced with addiction
- Consultations are one-on-one with the physician.
- Nicotine Anonymous meetings are held at two different locations in Vegas as well; CCSN Campus or Stairway II
- Other alternative methods for smoking cessation are available in Las Vegas, such as acupuncture, hypnosis/hypnotherapy or laser therapy, all in clinic settings.
Regardless of which method you decide on, you’ll see immediate health benefits on quitting. Within a few weeks, your lungs will clear out and flush a lot of the mucus and toxins that have accumulated. Your blood’s oxygen levels will return to normal, your blood pressure will drop, breathing will become easier and your sense of smell and taste will be greatly improved. In the long term, your risk of heart attack falls to about half of that of a smoker (within 5 years). After 10 years, the risk of lung cancer falls to almost the same as that of a non-smoker.
As American culture changes, smoking has developed a social stigma that it never had in previous years. The pressure to give up cigarettes for good can be great for many people, but following through on it can be hard. At least there are plenty of resources to stop smoking in Las Vegas that you can fall back on if you’re determined to quit. Read more about Smoking Cessation in Las Vegas
Quit Smoking Today! with Patient’s Choice Medical Center call (702) 474-6300 for an appointment.